Many of us take the enjoyment of a robust glass of red wine for granted. In fact, recent studies from Johannes Gutenberg University, in Mainz, Germany, may be a vintage-lovers worst nightmare! The study, which surveyed 950 participants residing in Western Germany’s wine region found that 25-percent were allergic or intolerant to vino—GASP—without even knowing it!
While the study findings are nothing to cheers about, that glass of wine you like to swill may be making you ill due to an allergic reaction or intolerance that’s similar to a hangover or seasonal allergies. So before you pop your cork, here are six facts you should know about wine allergy and wine intolerance…
When I was in high school I had a friend who was allergic to alcohol. Every time poor Ernie took a sip from a beer or a wine cooler his skin flushed, he broke out in hives, and he got unbelievably intoxicated due to an allergy to the ethanol found in all alcoholic drinks.
Now an allergic reaction to wine doesn’t mean you’re allergic to all forms of alcohol. In fact, a wine-specific allergy is due to a reaction to sulfites, histamine, or other specific compounds in wine that aren’t present in other types of alcohol.