7 Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A colorless, odorless, tasteless gas, carbon monoxide is often called “the silent killer” as these properties make it hard to detect. It is produced by the burning of gas, wood, propane, charcoal or other types of fuel via combustion engines, appliances or heating systems. While such sources are not usually a concern, if a car is left running in an enclosed space, or the appliance or heating system malfunctions or is used improperly, the build up of carbon monoxide may reach toxic levels, causing poisoning in those who are nearby.

According to WebMD, when the body breaths too much of the gas, “it replaces the oxygen in your blood. Without oxygen, cells throughout the body die, and the organs stop working.” In the United States alone, carbon monoxide poisoning kills more than 400 people each year, so it’s important to be mindful of these seven signs and symptoms in order to seek medical attention right away.

ADVERTISEMENT

1. Dull Headache

According to the NHS, the most common early warning sign of mild carbon monoxide poisoning is “a tension-type headache.” ASecureLife.com says that past victims often describe it as “a continuous headache that sits at the front of the head and generates a dull pain.”

Headaches are all too easy to dismiss, so it’s important to be mindful of whether they occur in a consistent setting, such as in your home, vehicle or at work. You may also notice that they tend to dissipate quickly after leaving the location where the leak is occurring.

Next »
ADVERTISEMENT
More From Activebeat
Related on ActiveBeat
You May Also Like
More from ActiveBeat